Automating the Import of Office 2013 Language Packs into MDT with PowerShell

I recently needed to add Office Language Pack support into an MDT deployment and found this to be a looooong time consuming task…especially if you need to support a number of languages. So I ended up writing a PowerShell script to automate the steps.

Some background first. The following blog by Johan Arwidmark and Patrick Zovistoski is a great post and should be used in conjunction with my script:

deploymentresearch.com – Installing Office 2013 Language Packs in MDT

The high level steps to Install Office Language Packs with MDT are as follows:

  1. Obtain the Office 2013 Language Pack DVD media from the Microsoft VL website.
  2. Create the correct Folder structure for each language you need to import (containing all component language folders, setup files etc…)
  3. Update the config.XML for each language to run silent and suppress reboot.
  4. Import each language into MDT as an application.
  5. Add the Applications into the MDT Task Sequence.

My script automates the first 4 steps…so all you need to do manually is add the languages to the Task Sequence 🙂

So onto the script.  You need to do the following:

  1. Mount the two Office 2013 Language Pack ISO files on your MDT server.
  2. Create a staging folder on your server.  This location will be used to create the source folders for the Language packs.
  3. Copy the script and CSV file (Download from here) into the staging folder on your MDT Server.
  4. Update the varibles at the top of the script with details of your deployment share, path of the Language Pack DVD’s etc…SetVars
  5. Update the CSV file to reflect the languages you want to import.csv
  6. Run the script.

The script will create the source folders for each language you specify and update the config XML’s for each language:Staging afterFinally the script will import each language pack into your MDT deployment share:DSAfter

And that’s it… A good hour of work down to about 5 mins.

Download the script from here

Enjoy 🙂

Advertisements

Fixing Office 2013 1920 Error during OSD on Windows 10 Technical Preview

I have been playing with the Windows 10 Technical Preview this week and I ran into an obscure error when trying to install Office 2013 as part of my Deployment Task Sequence in SCCM. The Office 2013 setup.exe returned a 1920 error when deploying the Task Sequence to Virtual Machines (Physical were fine). The Office Setup log reports the following error:

Error 1920. Service ‘Windows Font Cache Service’ (FontCache) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Taking a closer look I could see the service was in a stopped state and I could not start it manually…that was until I restarted 🙂  Even with Office being the first Application installation in the Task Sequence it would fail. So if you are installing Office 2013 on the Win 10 TP you need to make sure you add an additional restart immediately before the Office installation step.