DISM Cmdlets fail to run in Win PE with MDT 2013 Update 1 – WORKAROUND

Whilst working with Windows 10 and MDT 2013 Update 1 my colleague Graham Hardie and I ran into an issue which was preventing us from running DISM Cmdlets in Win PE.

The issue became apparent whilst trying to implement Michael Niehaus’s Windows 10 Inbox App Removal script and specifically trying to run the script offline in Win PE.

The MDT boot Image was successfully generated with the MDAC, .NET, PowerShell and DISM Cmdlets features but would fail to run the “Get-AppxProvisionedPackage” Cmdlet with the following error:

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage : The ‘Get-AppxProvisionedPackage’ command was found in the module ‘Dism’, but the module could not be loaded. For more information, run ‘Import-Module Dism’.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Path e:\
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-AppxProvisionedPackage:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotAutoloadMatchingModule

We found that the Microsoft.Dism.Powershell.dll file was becoming corrupt at boot up…not had the chance to investigate what exactly is causing the corruption yet.

However, to workaround the issue you need to do the following:

  1. Delete the file from:
    x:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Dism
  2. Copy the file back down to the X: drive from the Deployment share:
    %DEPLOYROOT%\Servicing\x64\Microsoft.Dism.Powershell.dll 

You can obviously automate this as part of your Task Sequence. I simply added two ‘Run Command Line’ steps to Delete the file and copy the new file.  The steps need to be added before you run any script which has a dependency on DISM Cmdlets…in our case before Michael’s Inbox App Removal script:

The first step:
DISMCmdLetFix1

Command Line:

cmd.exe /c Del “%SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Dism\Microsoft.Dism.Powershell.dll” /q /s

The Second step:
DISMCmdLetFix2

Command Line:

robocopy Z:\Servicing\x64 X:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Dism Microsoft.Dism.Powershell.dll /is

Note: Add Error Code 1 to Success Codes for this step…robocopy can report a success with a non zero return.

A bug has also been opened on Connect.

Let us know if this works for you or better still if you identify the root cause of the issue.

Fixing Office 2013 1920 Error during OSD on Windows 10 Technical Preview

I have been playing with the Windows 10 Technical Preview this week and I ran into an obscure error when trying to install Office 2013 as part of my Deployment Task Sequence in SCCM. The Office 2013 setup.exe returned a 1920 error when deploying the Task Sequence to Virtual Machines (Physical were fine). The Office Setup log reports the following error:

Error 1920. Service ‘Windows Font Cache Service’ (FontCache) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Taking a closer look I could see the service was in a stopped state and I could not start it manually…that was until I restarted 🙂  Even with Office being the first Application installation in the Task Sequence it would fail. So if you are installing Office 2013 on the Win 10 TP you need to make sure you add an additional restart immediately before the Office installation step.